All School News – January 17, 2018
See you at Winterfest this Saturday!
Come to Cheer and Volunteer!
Let’s pack the bleachers this Saturday, January 20, for a full day of boys’ and girls’ basketball.
There will be something for everyone to enjoy:
- Jump shot basketball.
- Quarterback toss.
- Join the Classics Club and create delectable art inspired by ancient mosaics using graham crackers, icing and candy.
- Get your head in the game with a new, fun photo op!
- New spirit giveaways will be available for cheering on our basketball teams.
- Enjoy hot chocolate, pizza and Chick-fil-A sandwiches at the Igloo in addition to their regular lineup of snacks and drinks!
- Shop the School Store inside the Upper School Multipurpose Room.
Visit the Winterfest webpage for a complete schedule of games and activities.
Thank you to the many volunteers who have already signed up for a shift to help in the Igloo snack bar and School Store. A few shifts remain, and we would appreciate your help! Sign up for a shift here.
The Upper School canned food drive has been extended. Feel free to bring a can of food on your way in.
New this year: Halftime contests on the basketball court for students!
There will be contests during halftime for all to enjoy. Please come out to support our athletes and participate in a friendly 3-point and half-court shot competition during the halftime of each game.
Lower School: JV Girls’ game, which begins at 1:45 p.m — Modified three-point contest for our youngest Huskies.
Middle School: JV Boys’ game, which begins at 3:30 p.m.
Upper School: Varsity Girls’ and Boys’ games, beginning at 5:15 p.m. and 7:00 p.m.
Also, new this year, Upper School students have challenged one another to help get 150 students to the Winterfest games for a Free Dress Day! Each student is recommended to bring one can for the canned food drive. Mr. Moser and Mr. Reed will estimate how many people are at the game based on how many cans are brought in. Cans will be counted at halftime during the girls’ varsity game.
Thank you to Winterfest Volunteer Coordinators Angela and Thomas Parham P’27 for organizing a fun day for Huskies of all ages, in support of our basketball teams. Contact Tiffany Parry in the Development Office with any questions. Go Huskies!
Summer on the Hill Registration Now Open!
Registration for the 2018 season is now open. View the schedule and register at www.flinthill.org/summer.
Spread Kindness, Not Germs!
Health Services would like to remind everyone of some winter wellness tips! Please keep the following simple, yet effective health practices in mind:
- Cover your mouth when you cough and sneeze, and use tissues appropriately.
- Keep your children home if they are sick (fever and vomiting free for 24 hours before returning to school).
- Wash your hands, following the appropriate steps, and remember to dry them to decrease chapping.
- Remind children to keep fingers out of their mouths and away from their faces.
- Remind children to wash their hands if they put fingers in their mouths.
- Do not share food, utensils, straws or cups.
For Cold Weather Activities
For cold weather activities, dress appropriately for the weather and monitor for wind chill factor. Limit time outdoors in frigid weather and cover exposed skin to prevent frostbite. Keep clothes dry and change wet clothes as soon as possible.
- Hydrate — your body burns more energy in the winter to keep it warm, so you will dehydrate quicker with outdoor activities. You may not have the typical thirst drive you experience in hotter weather.
- Apply sunscreen to exposed face areas, if participating in outdoor activities, when it’s sunny outside.
- Pack warm blankets and extra water in case you are stranded in your car.
- If stuck in the snow, in your car, make sure your exhaust pipe is completely clear if the car is running. This will prevent carbon monoxide build up inside the car.
NEW DATE: Grades JK-12 Headmaster’s Discussion Series: The Flint Hill Budget
Thursday, January 18, 8:15 a.m.
Large Conference Room – Upper School
Saturday, January 20
Lower School Admission Feature Program Event
Saturday, January 20, 9:30 a.m.
Middle School Admission Feature Program Event — Prospective Student Workshops
Sunday, January 21, 1:00 p.m.
Upper School Admission Feature Program Event — Innovation and Fine Arts
Sunday, January 21, 2:00 p.m.
Grades JK-12 Two-Hour Delayed Opening
Wednesday, January 24
Enrollment Contracts Issued — Current Students
Thursday, January 25
Financial Aid Notifications — Current Students
Thursday, January 25
Founder’s Day All-School Gathering
Thursday, February 1, 1:30-2:30 p.m., Lower and Middle School Campus Gym
Parents are welcome to attend this school-wide assembly to celebrate the founding members of Flint Hill School.
Thursday, January 18
Varsity Ice Hockey Practice, 4:00 p.m.
JV Girls’ Basketball vs. Visitation, 4:15 p.m.
Freshmen Boys Basketball at JPG, 4:30 p.m.
Varsity Swim/Dive ISL Diving Championships, 5:00 p.m.
Varsity Girls’ Basketball vs. Visitation, 6:00 p.m.
Friday, January 19
Varsity Climbing Practice, 3:00 p.m.
Varsity Swim/Dive at Madeira, 4:00 p.m.
Varsity Ice Hockey vs. Broad Run at Reston, 9:40 p.m.
Saturday, January 20
JV Girls’ Basketball vs. Westfield, 1:45 p.m.
JV Boys’ Basketball vs. Potomac, 3:30 p.m.
Varsity Girls’ Basketball vs. Westfield, 5:15 p.m.
Varsity Boys’ Basketball vs. Potomac, 7:00 p.m.