Middle School Newsletter - February 10, 2021
National Girls and Women Sports Day
Last Wednesday, the Upper School Athletic Advisory Council led a discussion with retired professional soccer player Joanna Lohman to celebrate the 35th National Girls and Women Sports Day. This celebration inspires girls and women to play and be active, to realize their full power. The confidence, strength and character gained through participation in sports are the very tools girls and women need to become strong leaders in sports and life.
We recorded the event so our Middle School and Lower School Students can watch the inspiring discussion led by our Athletic Advisory Council.
National Girls and Women Sports Day Event
Time for a mask check! An Update from Director of Health Services, Mary Hart
The season of love is upon us! With Valentine's Day just around the corner, there is no better time for students and adults alike to show yourself and those around you some love by doing a mask check!
Here are some things to consider when deciding if it's time to upgrade you or your student’s mask:
- Does it fit well?
- Does it cover your mouth and nose without constantly having to adjust it?
- Have you tried the light and candle test?
- If you hold your mask up towards the light, can you see the light coming through the weave of the mask?
- Can you blow a candle out while you are wearing your mask?
If you answered yes to the above two questions, it is best to wear a different mask or add another layer underneath. Even Dr. Fauci says he doubles up on his masks!
As a specific example, although super well-fitting and really nice looking, the popular Rothy’s masks may not be the best choice to wear alone. If you or your student/s own one of these masks, try the light and candle tests to see how well they fare. If they are just too comfortable to get rid of, then try adding a disposable mask or another layer or filter underneath.
The CDC reminds us to choose a mask that has:
- Two or more layers of breathable, washable fabric that completely covers your nose and mouth and fits snugly against your skin without gaps on the side.
- A double-layered disposable mask with a pliable metal piece that goes around your nose is another great option and is great for those of us who wear glasses!
As always, if you have any questions please feel free to reach out.
Happy early Valentine's Day!
Recording for Fine Arts Coffee
Recording for Tuesday’s Fine Arts Coffee is now available on the 2020-21 Webinars Tile on the Resource Board in Husky Hub.
Reimagined JK-Grade 8 Uniform Exchange Update
First, a huge thank you to all our families who donated to the Uniform Exchange. We are no longer accepting donations but will make you aware when the next donation opportunity is available.
Now, we are ready to begin Uniform Shopping! Here’s how it works:
Step 1: Fill out this order form with your uniform preferences by Friday, February 12.
- Complete one form per child.
- Orders will be filled on a first-come, first-serve basis.
- If we are unable to fulfill your request, we will email you.
Step 2: You will receive an email from Adrienne Robinson when your order is complete and ready for pick up.
Step 3: Pick up your order from the Miller House front porch, located on the Lower School campus at 10409 Academic Drive. We anticipate orders will be ready for pick up on February 23, 24, and 25 between 7:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.
UPDATES AND REMINDERS FROM LAST WEEK
Recording of Last Week’s Middle School Division Coffee
It was great to see so many of you last week at our division coffee, featuring Director of Counseling Ilana Reyes and Middle School Counselor John Magner on a range of social-emotional topics. The recording of this coffee is now available on our Resource Board here.
Articles for Middle School Parents
In the interest of sharing issues and perspectives relevant to the challenges of parenting young adolescents, here are a few articles that you might find helpful.
Seven ways to build a child’s resilience during the pandemic (and long after it ends)
Raising Confident, Independent Children
Listen and Connect: How Parents Can Support Teens' Mental Health Right Now
School Store Update
- Outerwear, sweatshirts and beanies are now available!
- Check out the new Last Chance Spirit Wear section of the School Store Website. With extremely limited quantities left these sale items won’t last long. Shop now before they are gone!
How do I make an exchange or return?
- Please contact Adrienne Robinson within 30 days of your original purchase.
- Exchanges may be made for the same item in a different size or for an item of equal value.
- We are happy to issue a refund for items that did not work for you.
Grades JK-12 No Classes
Administrative Offices Closed
Monday, February 15
Virtual Middle and Upper School Learning Center Coffee
Wednesday, February 18, 12:30-1:30 p.m.
Google Meet Link
Virtual Middle School Division Coffee
Thursday, February 25, 9 a.m.
Google Meet Link
Virtual Upper School Division Coffee: Course Selection Process for Rising 9th Grade
Wednesday, March 10, 10 a.m.
Google Meet Link