Middle School Newsletter - May 19, 2021
Last Day of School
Thursday, June 3, is the last day of school for grades JK-12. Please plan accordingly!
Grades JK-12 Virtual Parent Education Series: Supporting Grieving Children and Teens
Thursday, May 27, 7:30-8:30 p.m.
Over the past year, we have been surrounded by loss: loss of routine, loss of physical connection, and the loss of rituals. And for many the death of beloved family members or friends. People are having varied reactions and responses including increased anxiety, isolation, anger and sadness as we learn to exist within this new context and grieve these many losses. The uncertainty of the intensity and duration of this crisis can exacerbate underlying conditions or unhealthy coping techniques. For parents and caregivers, the challenge is how to support your children while navigating this yourself. It is kind of like building the plane while flying it. The Wendt Center for Loss and Healing will be facilitating a one-hour conversation about grief for parents. During this time, the Wendt Center will share about grief in the context of developmental stage, and ways that you can engage your child in a continued conversation about grief and support them as they navigate the uncertain time. Additionally, the Wendt Center will share about the impact on adults and provide realistic strategies to sustain yourself in the face of grief.
Spring Virtual Visual Arts Show Now Open
In concert with Arts Jam, the annual Visual Arts Spring Show opened on May 13. Upper School students present highlights of their work in painting, drawing, ceramics, and digital arts in an exciting virtual gallery format. Links to these virtual art galleries as well as our Arts Jam concert are available here.
Date Change for Middle/Upper School Musical
The release date for the Middle and Upper School musical has been changed from Friday, May 21, to Thursday, May 27. The YouTube premiere link will be included in next week’s newsletter.
UPDATES AND REMINDERS FROM LAST WEEK
Virtual Arts Jam
Our annual Arts Jam concert is back! This year, we present an exciting collection of performances from our band, choir, percussion ensemble, orchestra, dancers, and our a cappella group, Major Minors. These performances, recorded by students in their homes, or in small groups outside at a safe physical distance, premiered on our YouTube channel last week. Please enjoy these performances from the comfort of your home, and celebrate the amazing talent and hard work of our student artists. You can access the video here.
Middle School End-of-Year Exams
All students will have final assessments in English, math, history, language, and science. We believe it is important for students to:
- Learn to prepare for a cumulative assessment — note that most of this will happen during class time, with teachers guiding students through review activities and study strategies in the days leading up to the exam.
- Practice taking assessments on consecutive days — which they will do in the Upper School.
- Destigmatize the word “exam” during our low-stakes training ground — the assessments themselves are actually about the same length (one hour) and weight as a test during the year.
Each exam or project counts as 10% of the semester grade in a particular course and our focus is on the review process and long-term study skills. Please contact me if you have any questions or to make arrangements for any absence.
- Week of May 24 — History projects due (specific date varies by class).
- Monday, May 31 — Memorial Day; no classes.
- Tuesday, June 1 — Review Day: all classes meet.
- Wednesday, June 2 — English and Science
- English 8:15-9:15 a.m. (extra time as needed).
- Science 12:45-1:45 p.m. (extra time as needed).
- Thursday, June 3 — Math and Language
- Math 8:15-9:15 a.m. (extra time as needed).
- Language 12:45-1:45 p.m. (extra time as needed).
Final Uniform Exchange Donation Opportunity
The last uniform donation opportunity for the 20.21 school year will be May 24 through May 28.
Donations should be dropped off on the Miller House front porch, between 7:30 a.m. and 3:00 p.m., and adhere to the following guidelines.
We are only collecting the following uniform items for future distribution:
- Flint Hill polo shirts
- Khaki and navy skirts, shorts, skorts, pants, and jumpers
- Spirit Wear
- P.E. Shirts and Shorts
All items should be washed and sorted to minimize contact when they arrive. Pants in one bag. Shirts in one bag.
School Store Update
- Check out our Featured and Last Chance items. Inventory is running low for all of these items. Get them before they’re gone!
- Please enjoy free shipping, as all orders will be shipped for the remainder of the year.
- Returns and exchanges are quick and easy, but all returned items must sit in quarantine before they are returned to inventory. Please order only the size you think you need so we can keep as much inventory in stock as possible. We are happy to change out the size quickly if it doesn’t fit.
How do I make an exchange or return?
- Please contact Adrienne Robinson within 30 days of your original purchase.
- Exchanges may be made for the same item in a different size or for an item of equal value.
- We are happy to issue a refund for items that did not work for you.
Class of 2026 Virtual Event
Thursday, May 20, 9-10:30 a.m
Add to Calendar
Friday, May 21, Noon-3 p.m.
We will run a condensed schedule, with classes in the morning, before spending the afternoon engaging in fun activities, sponsored by our SCA. This will be similar to our "House Olympics" from previous years and feature a series of outdoor activities that groups of students will rotate through. We will all wear masks throughout, sanitize between stations, and maintain distancing.
Memorial Day — Grades JK-12 No Classes
Monday, May 31
Final Week of School
Tuesday, June 1-Friday, June 4
Tuesday, June 1 — all classes meet; full school day.
Wednesday, June 2 — English and Science exams; full school day.
Thursday, June 3 — Math and Language exams; full school day.
Friday, June 4 — no classes.
End of Fourth Quarter
Grades JK-12 Last Day of School
Thursday, June 3
Middle School Virtual Closing Ceremony
Friday, June 4, Pre-recorded video released at 9 a.m.
Middle School Promotion Ceremony (Eighth grade only)
Friday, June 4, 11:30-noon on the turf field. Complete details are available here.
Friday, June 11, 10 a.m.
Final Grade Reports Available Online
Wednesday, June 16, 4 p.m.
Summer Programs Begin
Monday, June 21