Upper School Newsletter - April 21, 2021
Quote of the Week
“Greatness is sifted through the grind, therefore don’t despise the hard work now for surely it will be worth it in the end.” — Sanjo Jendayi
“400,” the Upper School portfolio art class exhibition is now open
The title, “400,” is in response to the number of days these seniors have been in quarantine, since Flint Hill School announced the shift to virtual learning last spring. The work of the portfolio art students is on display inside the Upper School as well as on this 3D virtual tour.
Coming Soon: Senior Week
This is a very exciting time, and it is also bittersweet in the Upper School community. The members of the class of 2021 have worked extremely hard throughout this unprecedented year, and I constantly remind them that they have waited all of their lives for this moment. Many of our seniors will experience a “series of lasts” next week. Please remind the members of the senior class that we are proud of them.
Students are expected to come to campus to take their Advanced Placement Exams, May 3-17. The members of our freshman and sophomore classes will experience school virtually during the AP Exam period.
Please Complete the Student Vaccination Form
Let's all do our part! Vaccine appointments are open to everyone 16 and older. Let’s protect ourselves and each other. Another benefit is that any student or employee who received their final vaccine dose 14 days or more before exposure does not have to quarantine per CDC guidelines.
Students and employees who have been fully vaccinated 14 days or more before exposure to a person who tests positive will be exempt from quarantine if the Student COVID-19 Vaccination Form has been completed. In the event of a positive case, the list of students for whom this information is on file will be reviewed in advance of a Red Group Notification being sent. Those individuals will not receive the Red Group Notification message.
If your student has already been vaccinated, please complete the form now. Otherwise please complete it at the time the final dose is administered.
Welcome to the Athletics Corner! Find all your Flint Hill Athletics weekly updates here!
Spring Sports Schedule:
- We are excited that spring sports start and compete this week!!!!
- April 23, Boys' Tennis away at Saint James, 5 p.m.
- April 23, Boys' Lacrosse away vs. Saint James, 5 p.m.
- April 23, Girls' Lacrosse away at Highland, 4:30 p.m.
- April 23, Girls' Softball vs. SSSA, 4:15 p.m.
- April 24, Boys' Baseball vs. Saint James, noon
- April 24, Girls' Softball away at SSSA, 9:30 a.m.
- We are hoping to stream these matches on our Flint Hill YouTube channel.
Great news! Our leagues the Mid-Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAC) and the Independent School League (ISL) have approved spectators for the upcoming spring season. The leagues have approved two spectators (family members/guests) for each home athlete only. Family members/guests or students from visiting/non-host schools are not permitted, and no other outside spectators are permitted.
In accordance with our respective leagues, Flint Hill has approved the following spectator policy for the spring sports:
- Two immediate family members per Flint Hill player are allowed. No other spectators are permitted.
Spring Sports Covid-19 Testing:
- PCR Covid-19 testing for in-season athletes will continue for spring sports on Thursdays before practice. All in-season athletes must complete Covid-19 testing each week in order to practice or compete.
- Students must test on Thursdays to play in matches or games.
- Mackenzie Fitzgerald — This Ohio State Commit has been a huge piece of the girls' lacrosse team. Coach Fitzgerald states, “It’s been a true joy to see Mackenzie back on the field with her team! She brings a tremendous amount of personality, competitive spirit, and leadership that's very evident in her actions on and off the field. Mackenzie loves her teammates and program and pushes them to be their best.”
- Congratulations to Trevor Barbessi who pitched a NO HITTER last weekend against Sidwell and helped lead the team to a sweep in both their matches. Go Huskies!!!!!
- Congratulations to our Girls’ Lacrosse Team, Boys’ Baseball Team, and Girls’ Softball Team, all of which won their first matches last weekend!
- Please follow our social media accounts @flinthillathletics on Instagram and @Athletics_FHS on Twitter for fun challenges between our athletes, husky highlights, and photos from our athletic events!
Recording for Parent Education Webinar — Social Media, Tech, and Social-Emotional Health
Please enjoy our refreshing, practical, and eye-opening presentation about parenting in the digital age. In our Parent Education Webinar with the Social Institute, Laura shared the latest updates and best practices to:
- Strengthen communications with your children through student-respected conversation starters about social media and technology.
- Empower students to navigate social-emotional health, social media, and technology during this uncertain time.
- Discuss concerns related to the pandemic while learning insights shared by students and researchers.
- Develop shared family standards for balancing technology in healthy ways.
- Inspire everyday use of important lessons that seventh-eighth grade students will learn during advisory.
The link to the recording of the webinar is below along with the password to access it. It is also available on the 2020-21 Webinars tile on the Resource Board in Husky Hub.
Recorded Webinar Link
Bus service to and from Flint Hill is an important logistical component for many of our families. We are working toward providing bus service for the 2021-22 school year for Middle and Upper School students only.
If you are interested in bus service for the 2021-22 school year, please complete the bus service interest form by Friday, May 7. Information on cost, possible routes, stops and pick-up/drop-off times is included on the bus service interest form.
The final list of available bus routes will be determined by ridership demand and is subject to change.
UPDATES AND REMINDERS FROM LAST WEEK
Join the fun! JK-12 Virtual Parent Trivia Night
Tuesday, April 27, 7:30-9 p.m.
TODAY is the deadline to sign up to participate
Both newly-enrolled and current parents of students in grades JK-12 are invited to a night of fun and community-building! Whether you are a tough competitor who could compete in a Jeopardy championship or you’ve never won a Trivial Pursuit game in your life, all skill levels are welcome! The goal is to have fun and make connections with other Flint Hill families.
Sign up here to participate. The event will be hosted by Trivia Hub and will feature a live host. You have the option to sign up with a team or be randomly assigned to a grade level team. Teams will be in breakout rooms as they huddle up to determine their answers, so the evening will be a combination of time with all participants and small group fun.
And did we mention prizes? In addition to bragging rights, there will also be Flint Hill swag for the winners!
Sign up today! The deadline is TONIGHT at 8 p.m.
School Store Update
- Click here to check out the new School Store website!
- Have questions about items in the store? Click here to schedule a 15-minute virtual meeting with Adrienne Robinson. Don’t have time to make an appointment? Feel free to email me with any questions, and I will be happy to make suggestions for your next purchase.
- We are working with our vendors to restock boys’ shorts. Inventory should arrive in the next few weeks. Check out the Restock Alert tab for items that have been recently restocked.
How do I make an exchange or return?
- Please contact Adrienne Robinson within 30 days of your original purchase.
- Exchanges may be made for the same item in a different size or for an item of equal value.
- We are happy to issue a refund for items that did not work for you.
Spring Exam Schedule
Here is the Upper School exam schedule:
- May 27: Reading Day (required for Grades 9 and 10) — this is a change, as we used to only require Grade 9. In other years, students from other grades could attend optionally.
- May 28: Math Exams
- June 1: Upper School History Exams and 9/10 English Essay Exams
- June 2: Science Exams
- June 3: Language Exams
- June 4: Closing Ceremony
Virtual Arts Jam, 7-10 p.m.
Wednesday, April 21
Add to Calendar
April 26-April 30
JK-12 Virtual Parent Trivia Night
Tuesday, April 27, 7:30 p.m.
Add to Calendar
Grades JK-12 No Classes: Virtual Snow Day
Friday, April 30
Grades JK-12 Virtual Parent Education Series: Kaleidoscope Book Club
Monday, May 3, 9-9:45 a.m.
Add to Calendar
Grades JK-12 Virtual Parents’ Association Event: Mother’s Day Scent Pairing by Jo Malone London
Monday, May 3, 5-6 p.m.