Upper School Newsletter - February 24, 2021
Quote of the Week
“Without community service, we would not have a strong quality of life. It's important to the person who serves as well as the recipient. It's the way in which we ourselves grow and develop.” — Dorothy Height
An Update from the Academic Dean
Upper School students in grades 9-11 will hear a presentation from Mrs. Ayers about course selection, during virtual class meetings, on Wednesday, March 3. The presentation will be shared with students after the sessions. Students will select courses for the 2021-22 school year, during the week of March 29.
New Virtual Upper School Division Coffee: Meet the Deans
Tuesday, March 9, 1 p.m.
Fine Arts Update
Auditions for the Spring Musical will be held via Google Meet on March 2 and 4, 7-9 pm. This year, the musical will be a cabaret-style show featuring solos, duets, and small group numbers from various musicals filmed at home or on campus at a safe social distance. Use this link to sign up for a five-minute audition time slot on either March 2 or 4. You will need to prepare one minute of a musical theatre song, to be sung a capella, and prepare a short dance combination. An instructional video for the dance combination will be sent after you sign up for an audition time. The musical will be recorded and released on May 1.
Rehearsals will be held via Google Meet and may move to in-person rehearsals, should safety guidelines allow. If you have any questions, please email Mrs. Davis, Mrs. Mrykalo, or Ms. Pramstaller.
Recording: Middle School/Upper School Virtual Learning Center Parent Coffee
Links Now Available for Empty Bowls 2021
Empty Bowls will look a little different this year — the entire event will be online! The excitement kicks off on March 1, at 7 p.m., with a live Google Meet featuring DC Central Kitchen’s CEO Mike Curtin, Upper School Ceramics Teacher Julia Cardone and the students of the Clay Club. The event will also serve as the launch of our online auction/sale website. You can bid on one-of-a-kind items, or purchase bowls for a fixed price. Watch this space for a link to be shared soon!
Welcome to the Athletics Corner! Find all your Flint Hill Athletics weekly updates here.
- We are very excited that fall sports have started this week! Our students are mixing cohorts, getting testing, sharing equipment and having some small-sided contact practices!
- Please join us at our Fall Sports Parent Meeting, on February 25, at 6 p.m. by joining the Google Meet here.
Fall Sport Covid-19 Testing
- In order to prepare for mixed cohort practices, intrasquad play, and competition with other schools, we began PCR Covid-19 testing for in-season athletes on February 22. We will test fall athletes in all grades, 9-12, on Mondays and Thursdays before practice. This Covid-19 testing schedule will allow us to schedule competitions, on Fridays and Saturdays, with other schools who are also testing. All in-season athletes must complete Covid-19 testing each week in order to practice or compete.
Mixing of Cohorts
- Starting Monday, March 1, we will begin to mix cohorts at fall sports practices Monday - Friday.
- On-Campus Temperature Screening/COVID Testing Schedule: Golf/ Boys and Girls Soccer: 3 p.m., Football and Girls Tennis: 3:10 p.m., Cross Country: 3:15 p.m., Field Hockey: 3:20 p.m., Volleyball: 3:30 p.m.
- Off-Campus Temperature Screening/COVID Testing Schedule: Students who are learning off-campus will arrive for temperature screening and COVID testing from 3:30 PM-4:15 PM.
- On non-testing days, virtual learners should get to their practices as quickly as possible.
- Our coaches will be flexible and understanding for student-athletes’ practice arrival times due to learning off-campus on that day.
- Please follow our social media accounts @flinthillathletics on Instagram and @Athletics_FHS on Twitter for fun challenges between our athletes, Husky highlights, and photos from our athletic events!
Senior Night Celebration for Winter Athletes
- Our Winter Sports Senior Night Celebration will be today, February 24, at 3:30 p.m. Please stay tuned for fun photos of the event!
The third meeting of the virtual Kaleidoscope Book Club is scheduled for Monday, March 1, 9-9:45 a.m. We will discuss “The Distance Between Us” by Reyna Grande. We look forward to building and deepening relationships through this shared learning opportunity. All parents are welcome to attend regardless of your familiarity with the book selection. Please submit your name and email address, in this form, to RSVP for the meeting and/or be added to our email list. Please contact All-School Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator Miles Henderson if you have any questions.
School Store Update
- We are working with our vendors to restock sweatpants and hoodies in our most popular sizes. The inventory should arrive in 2-3 weeks.
- Youth X-Large is a very popular hoodie size. If you would like to purchase a hoodie or sweatshirt now, please check out the following items that come in adult x-small and small. They will have a similar fit to youth x-large.
- Do you have a tiny Husky? Check out the links below for hoodies that come in sizes x-small and small.
- Outerwear, sweatshirts, and beanies are now available!
- Check out the new Last Chance Spirit Wear section of the School Store website. With extremely limited quantities left, these sale items won’t last long. Shop now before they are gone!
- Please contact Adrienne Robinson with any questions.
How do I make an exchange or return?
- Please contact Adrienne Robinson within 30 days of your original purchase.
- Exchanges may be made for the same item in a different size or for an item of equal value.
- We are happy to issue a refund for items that did not work for you.
Q4 Learning Location Section
Parents will receive an email on Thursday, March 4 to make the learning location selection for quarter 4. The form will be due on or before Monday, March 8.
UPDATES AND REMINDERS FROM LAST WEEK
Virtual Upper School Division Coffee: Course Selection Process for Rising Ninth Grade
Wednesday, March 10, 10 a.m.
We will discuss the course selection process and provide curriculum updates and recommendations for rising ninth grade students. We will also refer to the role of the advisor during this time. Webinar access information has been shared via email.
Virtual Upper School Division Coffee: Course Selection Process for Rising 10th-12th Grade
Wednesday, March 10, Noon
We will discuss the course selection process and provide curriculum updates and recommendations for rising 10th-12th grade students. We will also refer to the role of the advisor, during this time. Webinar access information has been shared with families via email.
Community Service Reminder
I wanted to remind everyone that there is a service hour requirement of four hours this school year for all Upper School students. There is a plethora of information in our daily Morning Report.
Grades JK-12 Virtual Parent Education: Kaleidoscope Book Club
Monday, March 1, 9-9:45 a.m.
Add to Calendar
Virtual Upper School Division Coffee: Meet the Deans
Tuesday, March 9, 1 p.m.
Google Meet Link
Add to Calendar
End of Third Quarter
Wednesday, March 10
Grade reports will be available online on Thursday, March 11, at 4 p.m.
Monday, March 29