Greetings Upper School Families,
Happy new year and welcome back!
It is becoming more difficult to predict the weather in our region. The local meteorologists have mentioned the possibility of the “s” word in the next few weeks. I don’t anticipate much accumulation, but it could impact your schedules and plans. Please refer to the School’s inclement weather policy, check our website and keep an eye on your phones when we have inclement weather in the area.
As many of you know, I begin every school day supporting the community by participating in morning carpool, rain or shine, hot or cold. It provides me with the opportunity to greet our wonderful students, while also acknowledging you, our parents, with a wave, peace sign or wink. Please remember to pull all the way to the far end of the circle, and take the time to remind our student drivers to slow down while driving on campus.
The first semester is coming to a close next Friday, January 18. This will serve as a fresh start for some and an opportunity to improve for others. Quarter grades represent 80 percent of the semester grade, and the mid-term exams/assessments represent the other 20 percent. Every student should create opportunities to build on his/her first-semester performance. When surveying struggling students, I noticed that consistent visits to office hours is absent. Please remind our students to include the office hours period in their daily/weekly routines.
I will look forward to seeing you soon.
Quotes of the Week
“The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically. Intelligence plus character – that is the goal of true education.”
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
Resilience Guide for Parents & Teachers
Join us for a day of basketball and an activity-filled, family-friendly dinner, before we make Husky History with a special announcement you won’t want to miss!
When: Saturday, January 26
Where: Flint Hill’s Upper School Campus
12:45 p.m. JV Girls vs. Potomac
2:30 p.m. JV Boys vs. Potomac
4:15 p.m. Varsity Girls vs. Potomac
5:30 p.m. Activities kick off and dinner begins
6:00 p.m. WE MAKE HUSKY HISTORY!
6:30 p.m. Varsity Boys vs. Potomac
For more information, visit www.flinthill.org/winterfest
Don’t forget to order your t-shirts! The deadline to order is tonight at midnight. No late orders will be accepted. Click on the link below to order:
Director of the Upper School
Grades JK-12 Parent Education Series: Kaleidoscope Book Club Meeting
Monday, January 14, 8:15-9:30, Multipurpose Room, Upper School Campus
Financial Aid Application Deadline — Current Students
Tuesday, January 15
Grades JK-12 Headmaster’s Parent Discussion Series: The FH Budget
Tuesday, January 15, 8:15-9:15 a.m., Large Conference Room, Upper School Campus
Grade 9 and 10 Parent Education Series: College 101
Wednesday, January 16, 7:00 p.m., Upper School Commons
Grade 12 Division Coffee: Senior Projects
Thursday, January 17, 8:15 a.m.
Birthday of Martin Luther King Jr., No Classes
Monday, January 21
Upper School Canned Food Drive
Tuesday, January 22-Saturday, January 26
Upper School Winterfest Dance
Friday, January 25, 8:00 p.m.
Saturday, January 26