Upper School Newsletter - March 3, 2021
Quote of the Week
“Our true character is that person we become when no one is watching.”
Junior Class Ring Ordering Information
Juniors and their families may decide if they would like to order a class ring. Below is information for class ring orders for the Class of 2022.
Recording for Fall Athletics Meeting
The recording for last week’s fall athletics meeting is now available on the 2020-21 Webinars tile, on the Resource Board, in Husky Hub.
Empty Bowls 2021 — Two Days Left!
Don’t miss out on Empty Bowls. Due to the tremendous response to our Empty Bowls kick-off event, we have added more bowls to the website. The 11th annual Empty Bowls event, benefiting DC Central Kitchen, has moved entirely online. Our online auction/sale website closes on Friday at 8 p.m. You can bid on one-of-a-kind items, or purchase bowls for a fixed price and support DC Central Kitchen’s mission to use food as a tool to strengthen bodies, empower minds and build communities.
Welcome to the Athletics Corner! Find all your Flint Hill Athletic weekly updates here!
- We are very excited that fall sports are running great! Our students are mixing cohorts, getting tested, sharing equipment and having some small-sided contact practices!
- Congratulations to our Dive team for their participation in the VISAA State Dive Championships.
- Boys’ Results:
- Congratulations to Spencer Bloom who placed 2nd in the state!
- Congratulations to Ryan Griggs who placed 5th in the state!
- Girls’ Results:
- Congratulations to Michayla Eisenberg who won the VISAA state championships!
- Congratulations to Lily Min who placed 3rd in the state!
- This year has given the Dance Team many opportunities to work with guest teachers while practicing virtually. During their winter season, the team enjoyed attending a hip-hop master class from a former Washington Wizards dancer, Christie Horan. They also spent many hours learning their jazz routine virtually in two days from Penn State Dance Team Coach Julie Berardi. And, they even got a surprise visit from some FHDT alumni. They can't wait to share what they've been working on as they head into the fall season!
- Please follow our social media accounts: @flinthillathletics on Instagram and @Athletics_FHS on Twitter for fun challenges between our athletes, husky highlights, and photos from our athletic events!
UPDATES AND REMINDERS FROM LAST WEEK
New Virtual Upper School Division Coffee: Meet the Deans
Tuesday, March 9, 1 p.m.
Virtual Upper School Division Coffee: Course Selection Process for Rising Ninth Grade
Wednesday, March 10, 10 a.m.
We will discuss the course selection process and provide curriculum updates and recommendations for rising ninth grade students. We will also refer to the role of the advisor during this time. Webinar access information has been shared via email.
Virtual Upper School Division Coffee: Course Selection Process for Rising 10th-12th Grade
Wednesday, March 10, Noon
We will discuss the course selection process and provide curriculum updates and recommendations for rising 10th-12th grade students. We will also refer to the role of the advisor, during this time. Webinar access information has been shared with families via email.
Q4 Learning Location Selection
Parents will receive an email on Thursday, March 4, to make the learning location selection for quarter four. The form will be due on or before Monday, March 8. As noted in last night’s email from Mr. Thomas, there are some exciting changes to the Upper School schedule that will go into effect after Spring Break.
School Store Update
- We are working with our vendors to restock sweatpants and hoodies in our most popular sizes. More inventory should arrive within the next two weeks.
- See the links below for updated inventory in youth x-large sweatpants.
- Check out the Last Chance Spirit Wear section of the School Store website. With extremely limited quantities left, these sale items won’t last long.
- Items with limited quantities now include the sizes available for that item in the title.
- Spring is right around the corner. Grab a hat and t-shirt to enjoy the warmer weather.
How do I make an exchange or return?
- Please contact Adrienne Robinson within 30 days of your original purchase.
- Exchanges may be made for the same item in a different size or for an item of equal value.
- We are happy to issue a refund for items that did not work for you.
Community Service Reminder
I wanted to remind everyone that there is a service-hour requirement of four hours this school year for all Upper School students. There is a plethora of information in our daily Morning Report.
End of Third Quarter
Wednesday, March 10
Grade reports will be available online on Thursday, March 11, at 4 p.m.
Monday, March 29