Upper School Newsletter - March 31, 2021
Quote of the Week
“Do more than is required. What is the distance between someone who achieves their goals consistently and those who spend their lives and careers merely following? The extra mile. “
— Gary Ryan Blair
The Kaleidoscope Book Club is a welcoming, inclusive space that utilizes literary choices as a springboard for equity and inclusion discussions. Reading is not required to attend. There are two opportunities to connect next week — at our book club session on Monday, April 5, at 9 a.m., and during an additional discussion session on Friday, April 9, at 9 a.m. This month’s read is "The Water Dancer" by TaNehisi Coates. Please contact All-School Diversity and Inclusion Coordinator Miles Henderson at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the link to the virtual meetings. Our last sessions of the year are scheduled for May 3 and 7. John Thomas will lead our discussion of "Refugee" by Alan Gratz.
Now Online! Fall Upper School Play, “Almost, Maine”
This year’s virtual Upper School play is now online. “Almost, Maine” by John Cariani, is a hilarious and heartwarming collection of nine short plays that explore love and loss in a remote, mythical almost-town called Almost, Maine. The play, directed by Director of Upper School Drama Productions Kate Davis, was filmed remotely in student homes and edited together to create a beautiful theatrical experience.
School Store Update
- Have questions about items in the store? Click here to schedule a 15-minute consultation. Don’t have time to make an appointment? Feel free to email me with any questions, and I will be happy to make suggestions for your next purchase.
- Check out the Last Chance Spirit Wear section of the School Store website. With extremely limited quantities left, these sale items won’t last long.
- We are working with our vendors to restock girls’ and boys’ shorts and the Youth Gildan Husky logo tee. More inventory should arrive in the next few weeks. Check out the Restock Alert tab for items that have been recently restocked.
- See the links below for updated inventory in youth medium, large and x-large hoodies.
How do I make an exchange or return?
- Please contact Adrienne Robinson within 30 days of your original purchase.
- Exchanges may be made for the same item in a different size or for an item of equal value.
- We are happy to issue a refund for items that did not work for you.
Welcome to the Athletic Corner! Find all your Flint Hill Athletics weekly updates here!
Fall Sports Schedule
- We are very excited about fall sports matches this week.
- Friday, April 2, Girls’ Soccer against Sidwell, 4:30 p.m.
- Friday, April 2, Girls’ Tennis against Sidwell, 4:30 p.m.
- Friday, April 2, Boys’ Soccer against Sidwell, 4:30 p.m.
- Saturday, April 3, Girls’ Field Hockey against Sidwell, 11 a.m.
- Saturday, April 3, Cross Country against Sidwell, 11 a.m.
- We are hoping to stream these matches on our Flint Hill YouTube channel.
Fall Sport Covid-19 Testing
- In order to prepare for mixed cohort practices, intrasquad play, and competition with other schools, we will begin PCR Covid-19 testing for in-season athletes starting on February 22. We will test fall athletes in all grades, 9-12, on Thursdays before practice. This Covid-19 testing schedule will allow us to schedule competitions on Fridays and Saturdays with other schools that are also testing. All in-season athletes must complete Covid-19 testing each week in order to practice or compete.
- Students must test, on Thursdays, to play in matches or games.
- Every week on social media, we like to highlight a Husky who is exhibiting our Flint Hill Values on and off the field.
- This week, we would like to highlight senior Shelby Berger! Coach Spratt had this to say about Shelby, “Shelby played number 1 singles for the Huskies in 2019 and again is one of the top players this season. Her training in the off-season demonstrates her work ethic and commitment to getting better and playing for the team. She is a true Flint Hill Husky.” Way to go Shelby!!
- Will start on Monday, April 12 with practices Monday-Friday.
- All spring sports matches will be on Fridays and Saturdays throughout the season.
- Please attend the Spring Sports Parent Meeting on Thursday, April 15, 6 p.m. Please find the link here.
Spring Virtual Activity Credit
- Starting April 12 and going to May 28. Students will have the ability to gain an activity credit by participating in the virtual strength and conditioning program.
- Please find information about the spring virtual activity credit here.
- Please follow our social media accounts @flinthillathletics on Instagram and @Athletics_FHS on Twitter for fun challenges between our athletes, husky highlights, and photos from our athletic events!
UPDATES AND REMINDERS FROM BEFORE SPRING BREAK
In-Person Senior Picnic
Seniors, you asked for it, and we will make it happen! The Upper School Office will host a picnic for you! It will be lots of fun, with live music and food … but, most importantly, you will be able to spend time with your friends and in person. The dates are:
Wednesday, April 7, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Upper School DeCamp Garden OR
Wednesday, April 21, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m., Upper School DeCamp Garden
Please talk with your friends and agree on one of the dates. Make sure you all sign up for this event in a timely manner. We can only accommodate 70 seniors per date. Here is the registration link.
Please watch this video, or contact Mrs. Hameed in the Upper School Office for more information and details about the picnic. l can’t wait to see you there!
Grades JK-12 Virtual Parent Education Series: Kaleidoscope Book Club, 9-10 a.m.
Monday, April 5
Senior Picnic, DeCamp Garden
Seniors, please talk with your friends and select one date only:
Wednesday, April 7,11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Wednesday, April 21, 11:30 a.m.-1:30 p.m.
Upper School Virtual Division Coffee: Diversity, Equity and Inclusion
April 14, noon-1 p.m.
Google Meet Link