Upper School Newsletter - May 12, 2021
Quotes of the Week
“You are always a student, never a master. You have to keep moving forward.”
— Conrad Hall
“Rules without relationships lead to rebellion.”
Virtual Arts Jam — Tomorrow Night at 7 p.m.!
Our annual Arts Jam concert is back! This year, we present an exciting collection of performances from our band, choir, percussion ensemble, orchestra, dancers, and our a capella group, Major Minors. These performances, recorded by students in their homes, or in small groups outside at a safe physical distance, will premiere on our YouTube channel at 7 p.m. on May 13. Please enjoy these performances from the comfort of your home, and celebrate the amazing talent and hard work of our student artists. You can access the event here.
2021 Parent Satisfaction Survey
This year we will resume conducting our annual Parent Satisfaction Survey. On Tuesday, May 18, you will receive an email with a link to the survey. The survey is being conducted for us by Measuring Success, who will handle all data collection, analysis and reporting confidentially. Please take the time to tell us what you think we’re doing well, what we can improve on and what is important to you. Your input is extremely valuable. Thank you in advance for completing the survey!
Welcome to the Athletics Corner! Find all your Flint Hill Athletics weekly updates here!
Spring Sport Schedule
IT’S POTOMAC WEEK! We also have many sports having their Senior Nights this week. Congratulations to our seniors!
This Week’s Schedule:
|Fri 5/14||Baseball||Potomac * Senior Night||4:30 p.m.||Upper School Baseball Field|
|Boys’ Lacrosse||Potomac * Senior Night||4:15 p.m.||Upper School Turf Field|
|Boys’ Tennis||Potomac * Senior Night||4:15 p.m.||Upper School Tennis Courts|
|Boys’ Tennis (JV)||Potomac||4:15 p.m.||away Potomac|
|Softball||Potomac * Senior Night||4:15 p.m.||Lower School Softball Field|
|Girls’ Lacrosse||Potomac||4:15 p.m. and 5:45 p.m.||away at Potomac|
|Baseball (JV)||Potomac||4:15 p.m.||away at Potomac|
|Sat 5/15||Baseball||Potomac||noon.||away at Potomac|
|Baseball (JV)||Potomac||2:30 p.m.||away at Potomac|
|Boys’ Lacrosse||Potomac||noon.||away at Potomac|
|Boys’ Tennis||Potomac||noon.||away at Potomac|
|Track||Potomac||11 a.m.||away at Potomac|
|Softball||Potomac||noon.||away at Potomac|
|Girls’ Lacrosse||Potomac * Senior Night||2 p.m.||Upper School Turf Field|
Our leagues have approved spectators for the spring season. The leagues have approved two spectators (family members/guests) for each home athlete only. Family members/guests or students from visiting/non-host schools are not permitted, and no other outside spectators are permitted.
In accordance with our respective leagues, Flint Hill has approved the following spectator policy for spring sports:
- Two immediate family members per Flint Hill player are allowed. No other spectators are permitted.
- Family members must sign up prior to each game so we have an accurate list of spectators attending the match.
- Please find the sign-up form for spectators here.
- If a student has more than two parents/guardians, please reach out to me to discuss options.
Spring Sports Covid-19 Testing
- We will test athletes in all grades, 9-12, on Thursdays before practice. This Covid-19 testing schedule will allow us to schedule competitions on Fridays and Saturdays with other schools that are also testing. All in-season athletes must complete Covid-19 testing each week in order to practice or compete.
- Students must test on Thursday to play in matches or games.
- Congratulations to our Girls’ Varsity Lacrosse Team, which is currently undefeated this season!
- Good luck to all our spring sports as they take on Potomac this weekend.
Please follow our social media accounts @flinthillathletics on Instagram and @Athletics_FHS on Twitter for fun challenges between our athletes, Husky Highlights, and photos from our athletic events!
UPDATES AND REMINDERS FROM LAST WEEK
Spring Exam Schedule
Here is the Upper School exam schedule:
- May 27: Reading Day (required for Grades 9 and 10) — this is a change, as we used to only require Grade 9. In other years, students from other grades could attend optionally.
- May 28: Math Exams.
- June 1: Upper School History Exams and 9/10 English Essay Exams.
- June 2: Science Exams.
- June 3: Language Exams.
- June 4: Closing Ceremony.
Student Virtual Trivia Night for Rising Grades 5-12 — Wednesday, May 19, at 7 p.m.
Students currently in grades 4 through 11 are invited to a Trivia Night! Similar to the recent parent event, this event will be hosted by Trivia Hub and will feature a live host. Students new to Flint Hill next year are also joining in on the fun. To help students make new connections, we will randomly create grade level teams that include both new and current students. Teams will huddle in breakout rooms as they discuss their answers, so the evening will be a combination of time with all participants and small group fun.
Sign Up here to participate. The registration deadline is Wednesday, May 12.
- Please enjoy free shipping, as all orders will be shipped for the remainder of the year.
- As the school year comes to an end, inventory will be restocked in late summer for the 21.22 school year.
- Returns and Exchanges are quick and easy, but all returned items must sit in quarantine before they are returned to inventory. Please order only the size you think you need so we can keep as much inventory in stock as possible. We are happy to change out the size quickly if it doesn’t fit.
How do I make an exchange or return?
- Please contact Adrienne Robinson within 30 days of your original purchase.
- Exchanges may be made for the same item in a different size or for an item of equal value.
- We are happy to issue a refund for items that did not work for you.
AP Exam Period
Virtual Arts Jam, 7-10 p.m.
Thursday, May 13
Access the event here
Rising Grades 5-12 Student Virtual Trivia Night
Wednesday, May 19, 7-8:30 p.m.
Add to Calendar
Spring Semester Exam Schedule
May 28-June 3
Grades JK-12 No Classes, Administrative Offices Closed
Monday, May 31
Upper School Virtual Closing Ceremony
Friday, June 4
Friday, June 11, 10 a.m.